How To Prevent Bed Bug Infestations When Traveling For The Holidays
As the holiday season approaches, the excitement of travel and family gatherings fills the air. However, along with the joy of the festive season comes the need for a little precaution. Ever wondered how to keep those pesky bed bugs from hitching a ride back home with you? In this blog, we’ll give you some simple yet effective tips on how you can ensure a bed-bug-free holiday adventure!
Before Traveling: Shielding Your Home and Luggage
- Inspect Your Bed and Surroundings: Before you even think about packing, take a few moments to inspect your bedroom. Check the seams, folds, and crevices of your mattress, as well as any nearby furniture. Vigilance now can save you from an unwelcome surprise later.
- Invest in Protective Covers: Consider investing in a bed bug-proof mattress and pillow covers. These covers create a barrier, making it harder for any hitchhiking bed bugs to set up camp in your bedding.
- Pack Strategically: Opt for hard-shell luggage, as it’s more resistant to bed bug penetration. Pack clothing and belongings in sealable plastic bags to add an extra layer of protection. Keeping your items sealed not only deters bed bugs, but also helps you stay organized during your trip.
While Traveling: Staying Bed Bug Savvy
- Check Your Lodging: Upon arrival, inspect your accommodation thoroughly. Begin with the bed, checking the seams, headboard, and nearby furniture. If you notice any signs of bed bugs, request a room change immediately.
- Keep Luggage Elevated: Use luggage racks or keep your suitcase on a hard, smooth surface. Elevating your bags makes it more challenging for bed bugs to climb aboard. Avoid placing luggage on beds or plush carpets.
- Laundry Habits: Practice a cautious approach to laundry. If possible, keep dirty clothes in sealed bags. When it’s time to wash, use hot water, because bed bugs can’t withstand high temperatures.
After Returning: Preventing Unwanted Souvenirs
- Unpack Smartly: Unpack your bags outside or in an area that is easy to clean. Shake out your clothing and inspect your luggage for any signs of bed bugs or their tiny eggs. Remember, vigilance is key.
- Wash and Dry Everything: Immediately launder all your travel clothes using the hottest water and highest dryer setting suitable for the fabrics. This will eliminate any potential stowaways and their eggs.
- Inspect Your Luggage: Give your suitcase a thorough examination. Vacuum it inside and out, paying extra attention to seams and pockets. Wipe it down with a bed bug-friendly insecticide or rubbing alcohol.
- Contact a Pest Control Professional: If you notice any signs of a bed bug infestation, the safest move is to call a pest control professional right away who can help you handle the problem before it gets out of control!
Contact Pied Piper Pest Control!
If you’re a New Orleans area resident that has been unlucky enough to bring home bed bugs after traveling for the holidays, please don’t hesitate to contact our team at Pied Piper Pest Control! We provide a wide range of pest control & extermination services for bed bugs, other insects, rodents, termites, and more to home & business owners throughout the New Orleans area! Contact us today to get a free estimate on a pest control service by calling us at (504) 366-1333 or by filling out the contact form on our website!