Bed bugs are tiny insects smaller than a pencil eraser. These bugs are good at hiding and they reproduce rapidly. When these insects bite they leave spots and itchy welts on the body. This can cause irritation, severe allergic reactions, sleep deprivation, and stress. Fortunately, there are ways that you can remove these bugs from your home! The treatment depends on the infestation size. For large infestations, you should always hire a pest control professional, but for smaller infestations it’s possible to remove them on your own with non-chemical approaches.
Identifying a Bedbug Problem
The most common sign of bed bugs is itchy and irritating bites that mostly occur during the nighttime or are discovered in the morning. If you suddenly feel itchiness while sleeping, you should immediately examine your bed. Check corners of your bed as these can be possible hiding places. Also be sure to inspect your bed linens, tufts and seams of mattresses, and your box spring for the eggs. Bedbugs have tiny and pale eggs and have a similar shape and texture to poppy seeds. Furthermore, you can find rust-colored or dark brown droppings in loose areas of wallpaper near drawers, dressers, desks, and beds. Bed bug excrement is usually a black or light brown liquid.
Treating a Bedbug Infestation
A bedbug infestation can be incredibly hard to deal with. You should follow these steps to get rid of these tiny pests:
- Contact a professional pest control company in your area.
- Throw away items that you don’t use. A professional pest control team will guide you about what things to throw and what to keep.
- Don’t throw away your furniture as it can be treated.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to suck up bed bugs hiding in difficult places.
- Wash every spot with any sign of bedbugs. A professional pest control service can help spot the critical areas.
- Dry your clothes in a hot dryer to kill bedbugs.
- When you clear an item of bedbugs, keep them away from other items that might still have them.
- Carefully clean your bed. Remove your bed sheets, use a vacuum cleaner on the sides to clean the spots, and treat blankets, pillows, and bedspread in a hot dryer after washing them.
Contact Pied Piper Pest Control!
If you have any questions about bed bugs or are in need of pest control services in the greater New Orleans area, please get in touch with us! Our licensed pest control specialists have extensive experience dealing with a wide variety of pests, including bed bugs, rodents, insects, birds, bats, spiders, and more! Give us a call at (504) 366-1333 or fill out the contact form on our website, and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible!