In order for cockroaches to survive they need food, water, and a place to keep warm and hide. As the temperature gets cooler, cockroaches will soon be looking to find a new place to reside and your home would be an ideal destination. Your home can provide the right environment and enough resources for cockroaches to survive through the winter. It is important that you take the right steps to prevent a cockroach infestation in your home.
Cockroaches usually reside in the dark corners of the house and they do not come out until night time. Here are some of the necessary steps to prevent cockroach infestation in your home.
• Food Storage: Store all non-refrigerated food in containers such as flour or bread to prevent cockroaches from opening paper containers or bags.
• Clean Appliances: Routinely clean out the insides of toasters, ovens, and microwaves. Cockroaches tend to feed off of the crumbs left behind. It is a good idea to turn on these appliances and leave them on for a few minutes to kill off any food odor that is left.
• Pets: If you own pets, wash out their dishes and left over food every time and never leave any food or water out overnight.
• Clean Dishes: Do not leave any dirty dishes in the sink unattended. Clean your dishes every night or at lease rinse your dishes off and leave the dishes soaking in soap water.
• Wipe Off Dirty Surfaces: After finishing dinner or a meal at the table, clean off the surface of the table, getting rid of any debris or crumbs left over.
• Storing Pots & Pans: Pots and pans should be placed upside down and stored away to avoid cockroaches laying eggs inside the pot or pan.
• Vacuuming & Sweeping: Vacuum or sweep frequently especially in the areas where people eat daily. Most vacuums have a hose attachment that can be used to get to the hard to reach places.
• Garbage Removal: It is unrealistic to take out the trash every night, but the most that can be done is to tightly seal the trash.
• Sealing of Cracks: Seal of any cracks in your home that may act as a gateway for cockroaches. Check for cracks in the sink or in the basin for leaks.